Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wednesday, July 18, 2012- Another Hot Day in Kansas

Larned, KS to Hutchinson, KS (83 Miles)

The sunrise start began in the 70 degree range. The wind was out of the Southwest, so there was some slight help on the bike, when the wind would blow. As there are more trees showing up, there are patchy areas of only minor wind currents. Due to the relatively flat elevation and slight wind, my average MPH increased a little today. But with the longer ride and the higher temperatures, I was whipped at the end.

There were not many highlights to report today. No touring cyclists have been encountered in a number of days. I did see a hawk today...same one?  I wonder? Once leaving Larned, there was a warning on my ACA map that says no services on route for 58 Miles. There were not even abandoned towns today. Good thing I took extra water, but I drank every drop by the end of the day. Except for those using irrigation, the corn fields in this area are drying up, near dead. It is really sad!  In Nickerson, I stopped for an ice cream bar and a chocolate milk. It felt good to take advantage of their air conditioning while I sat down to eat the cold treat. Then it was back into the heat and on the road again. A short distance outside Nickerson, I rode past a pen of zebras...that is odd. They were hanging in the shade. The traffic was very light, until I got closer to Hutchinson. Even though Hutchinson is 10 miles off the route, it is a bigger city and we thought it would be a good place to take a day off. By the time, I had reached the campsite, the temperature was 103 degrees at 12:30PM.

Melody Acres in South Hutchinson, KS will be our pit stop for a day off. Hutchinson has a 40,787 population and we did a little exploring today. Tomorrow we might do some touristy things, plus we have convinced Vera to visit a medical clinic to see about her chest congestion which has lingered for a number of days. We pray it is nothing serious!

 The Quivira National Wildlife Refuge was along the route today and this is a picture of the Big Salt Marsh which is part of the Wildlife Refuge.
 Some sad looking corn. Although they really need rain, it is probably too late for this field.
 Central Kansas is somewhat famous for stone fence posts. Well, I saw a couple today.
There was a lot of smoke coming from an area just north of Hutchinson, and the fire department was just arriving on the scene. I avoided the area. Everything is extremely dry!




No comments:

Post a Comment