Sunday, July 22, 2012

Friday, July 20, 2012 - Another Good Day on the Trail

Hutchinson, KS to Newton, KS (59 Miles) 

Up again with the sun, I rode back north from Hutchinson to catch the TransAm path. With more and more trees appearing and the corn and bean crops in the fields, I could can easily have thought to be riding in Ohio. There was a deer sighting and an Westbound cyclist. Einon was the first cyclist I had encountered in a number of days. He was from Boston, had road to Yorktown, Virginia and was now on the TransAm trail. The crazy man was trying to make Larned by day’s end, which is more than a 100 mile day. Einon said another fellow had started with him but was now a couple days behind him.
 
The balance of the day included more fields of crops until I got to Newton, Kansas. Riding down Main Street, Karen’s Kitchen caught my eye with a sign for ice cream. I stopped for a cool treat and found Karen to have a very nice little café. She was very pleasant and sat down to talk to me. She enjoys having cyclist stop by her place, plus she took my picture and hung it on the wall with other cyclists. What a great lady! I will make sure to recommend her place to other cyclists.
 
Harvey County East Lake Park was the stop for the night. Unlike some of our other Kansas camp spots, it was like a real campground, with picnic tables, showers, real flush toilets, and a view of the lake. But the temperature was still at 100 degrees today, so we did not move around too much in the afternoon.

 Cool Mailbox.
 The first I have saw an Official Adventure Cyclinng Road sign marking the TransAm bicycle Trail.
 Einon from Boston trying to make 100+ miles today, in the heat...crazy man!
 Karen likes having cyclist stop at her restaurant in Newton. She is a really nice person!
 Calling All Cyclists...stop at Karen's Kitchen in Newton, KS, as she will treat you right!
I am riding along on a blacktop road with my cycling gear on to include a helmet in 100+ degree weather and I see this scene. Sometimes I wish I was a cow!!!


3 comments:

  1. Keep on biking Tim. It was so nice to meet you on your way to a great adventure. Glad you stopped by the Karen's Kitchen in Newton, ks.. I envy you people biking away. Have fun. Hope you always remember this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so not only am I amazed at how many other cyclist you are meeting on your adventure, but I am also amazed at how often you stop for ICE CREAM! lol -Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane-Do you realize how hot it is out here? Well, maybe you do realize, since it is just as hot in Ohio. But, on these hot days, ice cream tastes soooo Good!

      Delete