Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday, July 6, 2012-Entering Colorful Colorado

Riverside, WY to Walden, CO (50 miles)

It rained overnight and there was a threat of rain today at about noon. The camper, car, electric cords and anything setting out was covered with sap. The trees were dropping sap and cottonwood fuzz like crazy…yuck!

Today was a short 50 mile ride to Walden, but we did cross into a new state…welcome to Colorado. (Since, I forgot to take a picture of my entry into Wyoming, I took the opportunity to take a picture now of the Wyoming Welcome sign as I left…pretty tricky right?) Oh, guess who started to show up again....that is right, the logging trucks, but not a numerous as those in Oregon and Idaho.

Just prior to entering Colorado, I met up with Westbounder Gary from North Lima, Ohio (near Youngstown, OH). He had started in Ohio and was heading for Washington State. He told me to make sure we stop in Guffey, Colorado, as it is an example of “Weird Colorado”. I am not sure what he meant by that, but I am now anxious to experience Guffey. I reserved two spots in Guffey’s park for Tuesday night.

Nearing Walden, I caught up to Whitney from New York City and Promise from Las Vegas. They were riding together on the TransAm route and planned to stop in Walden at a hotel. We all were trying to beat the approaching rain and thankfully we did.

In Walden, the camp spot at the Roundup Hotel and RV Park consists of 5 stony spots along the main street of town. But, we do have electricity and we can use one of the hotel rooms to take a shower. The people running the hotel are very friendly and the 9 year old daughter of the owners had to come over to visit for a time. She had lots of stories to tell, to include how her Grandpa fixed her bicycle tire recently. She had to walk to school all last year, but now she will be able to ride her bike to school in the Fall (school is 1 block away). We walked uptown which took 20 minutes. I had time to wash the sap off the car right before it rained. Although Walden is the Moose viewing capital of Colorado, we only saw a life-size Moose statute uptown.

Tomorrow is a near 80 mile ride to Kremmling, CO which includes crossing the Continental Divide, once again at 9,621 feet. God be with us…
 After a climb to the top and ready to go down the other side, I now know why it was  little tough going up...7% grade!
 See the road in the distance? That is the 7% grade.
 Gary from North Lima, Ohio.
 OK, who left the gate open? Well, this is permitted in "open range" Wyoming.
 Woo Hoo, I made it to Colorado.
 Promise and Whitney....going my way?
Here is our fancy campground in Walden.

No comments:

Post a Comment