Friday, July 13, 2012

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 Riding out of the Rockies

Guffey, CO to Pueblo, CO (80 miles)

 A long downhill in the cool (45 degree) morning was fun. It was about 25 miles of downhill with only a couple short climbs in between. I met Jonathan from Pueblo riding with Val from Eugene, Oregon. They had started in Pueblo and planned to ride to Astoria, Oregon using the Adventure Cycling route. Upon arriving in Canon City, Colorado, I stopped for a break in the little park. As I was getting ready to take off again the camper gang rolled by me. Thankful to have phone service again, I gave them a call. So, we hooked up and Kim voiced interest in going on a train ride through the Royal Gorge. What a cool idea! We hustled over to the train station and just made the 9:30am train ride. It was a 2 hour ride along the Arkansas River through the base of the gorge. Wow! We rode in the coach section but you could walk to an open air car and take in a panoramic view.

After the ride, we ate lunch together and the camper caravan was heading over to Walmart to pickup supplied and then on to Pueblo Lake State Park. Although I too enjoyed the train ride, now it was later in the day with 48 miles to go and the temperature was climbing. With 48 miles to go, the map I had shows more downhill riding. Well maps can be deceiving as there was more climbing, albeit gradual. About 10 minutes out of Canon City, A bee hit me on the chest and deflected off. I thought all was well, until I felt his stinger penetrate the skin on my left leg. Wow, that hurts! I stopped and poured some cold water on it but decided to keep going. About 15 miles down the road I had blocked out the pain. 

There were a few last glimpses of the Rocky Mountains as I headed East. About 15 miles from the campground, I passed a couple who had pulled over with their motorcycle. I waived as usual and went on. I assumed they were taking pictures of the mountains. Soon, the passed me and we waived to each other again. Before long, they were pulled over again and motioned for me to stop. As I pulled beside them, the bearded gentleman asked if I had some spare water as he was over heating. I asked if he was overheating or his motorcycle. Kevin and Pat thought that was pretty funny, but the bike was running hot. I pulled my last spare bottle of water from my pannier and offered it to them. Kevin added the entire bottle and said he would be back with a fresh water. I insisted that was not necessary, but it was important they would get home (just north of Pueblo. Remember, we were a number of miles from civilization. I believe God brought us together at that moment to help Kevin and Pat get home.  

Once arriving at the campsite, I officially announced we had conquered the Rocky Mountains!

The view of Pueblo Lake from our campsite was great. After supper, we drove around the lake a little and into the city of Pueblo. We must have not known where to go, as we were not too impressed with our limited tour of Pueblo. It was getting dark and time to call it a day!
Jonathan and Val...good people! 
 Train ride through the Royal Gorge...fun & neat!
 Oh, look at the nice couple!
The view of the marina from our campsite at Pueblo Lake State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment