Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - Another Day in Kansas

Ness City, KS to Larned, KS (64 Miles)

Even though I sound like a broken record, I was early on the road again today. To further sound like a repeat, there were two hawks in the air again today. Could I be going in circles and these are the same two birds? The first 35 miles were cooler and bearable with a wind hitting me from the South. But, the route turned south at Rush Center, KS and for 19 miles I bucked a rather constant, gusty wind. I had to be content at an 8-10 MPH pace. It was rather grueling and I really dislike a headwind. Thankfully, the route turned East again and the final 10 miles had the wind at my side again, but the temperature was now in the 90’s. As the day progressed, I noticed more trees start to appear in the landscape, especially around houses. Also, the houses are well kept and not as trashed as some in the Eastern Colorado area. But, there are still towns with grain elevators, a few houses, and abandoned businesses. It is really sad and I don't really understand the history of the area. 

Again, I had to make a few phone calls to arrange a spot for the night. We are camped at the Pawnee County Community Campground on the outskirts of Larned, KS. Although there are no showers, we are the only ones here. With the temperature hitting 108 degrees (no really, 108 in the shade), we spent most of our time sitting in the A/C of the camper. I know people make fun of campers with A/C but we are very happy to have the cool air on this trip! As it was so hot, we ventured into Larned to look for a local restaurant to eat supper. Well, you guessed it, the local places were closed and for sale. So, our only choices were Wendy’s, Sonic, Subway, and Pizza Hut. We had pizza.

 P.S. “Chicken” competition results for today: Bicyclist 4 vs. Bugs 0  wins.

 The plaque next to this hillside message said, "In 1940, when the world was in great turmoil, Kenneth R. Timken, A Bazine school teacher, sat in his living room listening to the song, "Jesus Savior Pilot Me".  ... In August of 1940, 40 youth from the Bazine churches laid the rock bearing the prayerful expression."
 What  cool mailbox!
 Nice house...yard art-questionable taste.

The wonderful fragrance from the flowers in this field was intoxicating!

No comments:

Post a Comment