Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday, July 27, 2012 - Amish Encounter

Marshfield, MO to Houston, MO (68 Miles)

 As the sun was coming over the horizon, I was 10 miles outside Marshfield. It was in the 60’s and I put my jacket on for a few miles. But, as the run continued to show it’s face, I had to shed the coat.  I really enjoy the first couple hours of the day as the air was fresh, crisp, and the birds are singing.

 After spotting a couple of deer beside the road, I noticed a warning sign to watch for horse and buggies for the next 4 miles. Hmmm, must be some Amish in the area. Sure enough, I started to see homes with no electric wires running to the house, work horses in the pasture, and wash on the clothes line. While I was stop at a cross road for a little break, a horse drawn wagon came up beside me with a young Amish fellow on board. Emmanuel and I chatted for a little spell. He was headed to a neighbors to paint the chicken coop. He had a beard (which I think means he is married) and was barefoot. I asked the name of his horse. Emmanuel said with a smile, “His name is Dandy and he is a dandy.”  Of course he had many questions about my trip. It was a fun visit and then we each went our way.

Today was more downhill followed by immediate uphill, but I enjoyed it. Road quality stayed very nice. People continued to be very courteous about getting over. Once when I stopped for a breather in the shade, a van came to a stop to ask if I was OK. They were cyclists too and know that things can breakdown. I thanked them and thought how nice it was that they offered to help. As I would top some of the hills, there were views of the valleys full of trees, occasional barns and a smattering of cattle. It was quite pretty.

It had not quite hit 100 degrees by the time I rolled into Houston, Missouri for the day. So, I would say it is time for some ice cream. Not seeing a local spot for the tasty treat, I settled for an ice cream sandwich from the Shell Station. It was still good and I could cool off in the A/C. No campgrounds to be had in this town of 2,082 people. So, we stayed at the Lazy L Motel. Having been recently renovated, it was very nice. With company coming tonight, it works better this way. Josh and John are going to ride with me tomorrow to Eminence and Amy will join the SAG team. So, it should be fun!

 Amish House, do you see the little girl on the front porch?
 Emmanuel going to paint the chicken coop
 OK, I say everyone should vote for Bubba

Scenes of the valley

No comments:

Post a Comment