Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday, July 22, 2012 - Good Day in the Saddle

Eureka, KS to Chanute, KS (64 miles)

"Up with the sun, gone with the wind..." I am starting to sound like a Bob Seger song. The sunrise was gorgeous again today. I still love the fresh crisp morning air, if only it would stay that way all day. But as you know, the sun starts to heat things up. About 9:00am each day, the sun has caused the air to warm and the wind to blow. Today, I am thankful to report, the wind was over my left should. Although not quite a tailwind, I will take it. It was a pleasant ride, to include a sighting of a wild turkey (not the drink), a humming bird, and a deer. There was a mature field of grain sorghum also known as Milo. I have learned that farmers on the hot, dry plains from Texas to South Dakota grow and use grain sorghum like Corn Belt farmers use corn. Overall, it was a good day on the road.
I made it to the campsite in great time to beat the 100 degree heat and I even ate lunch with the family.

Santa Fe Safari Campground is run by the city of Chanute. Even providing electric and water at each paved spot, there is no charge for the first 48 hours. You mean Free? Yep! Cool! We explored the town in the afternoon and they even have a Walmart.

We ate dinner and had our family devotions. It was a good day in Kansas.
As tomorrow is Kim's Birthday, we are taking the day off in Chanute.

Patient Update: Vera is much improved and feeling better each day. My Dad was released from the hospital today and although he is better there is more medical procedures in his future. We praise God for the improvement, but please continue to pray for him.

 Field of Milo
 Lake Toronto
Train Display in a park in Chanute

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered the 'comment' section - Happy Birthday to Kim on the 23rd. I had mine on the 22nd. Tim, this blog of your trip is fabulous. So enjoy reading every few days. Glad the relatives are feeling better and the you are winning the 'bug war' some days! Wish I could eat as much ice cream as you can!!!!! melissa

    ReplyDelete