Sunday, July 8, 2012

Saturday, July 7, 2012- Mountains have returned

Walden, CO to Kremmling, CO (80 miles)

It was raining in the morning, but as I was ready to leave the rain stopped. Hallelujah! Although there was a climb today, it turned out to be easier than anticipated. Maybe I am getting use to climbing, but it did help that it was overcast all day and not as hot (in the mid 60 degree range). The first 25 miles were rolling hills with mostly sage brush and a few cattle here and there. A hawk was sitting on a fence post not 20 feet from the road. I took his picture and then he decided it was time to move on. As if there was a line drawn on the earth, all of a sudden the sage brush gave way to trees (Evergreens and Aspen). I was at the base of some mountains and the road started to tilt upward. I love the smell of evergreens when you are climbing!  

At the top of the 2,000 feet climb, Willow Creek Pass (9,621), which is also another crossing of the Continental Divide, I met Charlie and John from Granby, CO. They were coming up the other side of the mountain and they did not have all the panniers/gear hooked to their bicycles. As a way to get outdoors and exercise, they make the climb to the pass then turn around to ride back to Granby. Charlie is originally from Cincinnati, OH and John is from Connecticut. John said he came to Colorado for a change in lifestyle. They were nice fellows and were willing to share some tips on what to expect on my ride to Kremmling.

About 5 miles downhill from the pass, I met Stan and Danielle from the Netherlands. They were pleasant folks and were also on the TransAm ride which had begun in May. They were asking if I had met Marlene who was also from the Netherlands and they had all started together. I told them I had met Marlene and she was a couple days ahead of them. 

Most of the day on Colorado Route 125 was extremely light traffic, but as I turned onto US 40, the traffic picked up. In Hot Sulphur Springs, I stopped at a local dairy stand to try some ice cream. It was yummy! As I left Hot Sulphur Springs, the route passed through Byers canyon which had been carved out by the Colorado River. It was winding road with no shoulder to ride on, but very pretty views. 

Nearing Kremmling and the stop for the day, Jerry and Ray were approaching. The two Westbounders had met only recently and were riding together for now. Jerry lives and started from Decatur, Illinois. Ray named his recumbent bike Ruby and has a website blog to share his adventure.   (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=10634&v=Gp) Jerry gave me a brochure from the folks in Guffey, Colorado. He stayed there and said it was an experience! The owner of the campsites asked Jerry to hand out the flyers to East bound cyclists. The brochure offers either a free ice water or a beer. So, I am anxious to see what Guffey, CO is all about.

The rain held off until I arrived at camp, then the sky opened up and it rained most of the afternoon and evening. I am very thankful that God held back the downpour! Kim cooked some excellent Chicken Stew for supper…Yum!! 

Tomorrow is a day off and we plan to meet up with Kurt and Denine (my brother & sister-in-law) and their four boys. They live in Thornton, Colorado, which is just north of Denver. It should be a fun afternoon!
 Mr. Hawk was not to scared of me.
 The Flat sage brush landscape is about to give way to trees and mountains.
 I made it to the top of the Continental Divide one more time. As soon as I snapped the picture, Black Beauty fell over. She must have been tired or the kick stand was in some sand.
John & Charlie climb to the top of the pass just for fun...crazy boys!  
 Danielle & Stan are nice people from the Netherlands.
 The ride along Byers Canyon was pretty cool.
Jerry and Ray were just coming out of Kremmling...good guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment