Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - Long day in the saddle!

Ennis, MT to West Yellowstone, MT (75 Miles)

Today started again at 6:00am as I hit the road. The morning brought a number of wild animals sightings. There were some antelope looking creatures and “what I believe” to be a herd of elk. The ride was a gradual uphill ride with a 3,086 feet elevation gain. Nothing real tough, but there was a slight headwind all day which adds to the effort level required.  The ride brought some welcomed meetings of other cyclists. I have learned it is cyclist etiquette that when you spot another touring cyclist approaching, you should slow down and one or the other will cross to the road to introduce yourself.

First, I met Jason from San Francisco who started in Bozeman, MT when to Yellowstone and is headed for Missoula. The next exciting meeting was Dale Young, who’s blog I have been following since before I left. Not only does his blog reflect his being a good guy, but he is a great guy in person too.  If you want to read about his adventure his blog site is (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm)

Next, I met Richard who retired earlier this year and left for a huge tour of the USA. He had just passed through Yellowstone and plans to head towards the Pacific, then toward the Great Lakes before returning to home. He plans to be home sometime in October!  Lastly, I met a fellow from France, who I had a tough time understanding his name. He finally said it is French for Stephan.  He was on the TransAm trail started in April and was heading West.

Today was my first flat tire. Yes, the rear tire I just had replaced in Missoula picked up a little wire that went right into the sidewall. That is just Great! I pulled out the wire and Ssshhhh went the air. I was 5 miles from the campsite, so I found some shade and changed the tire. It really only took me a short time.

I rolled into the campground at 4:00pm. I cleaned up and we jumped in the Durango and headed into Yellowstone to see some sights. There were some very beautiful vistas, to include sightings of Bison, Elk, and a Fox.

Tomorrow we are moving camp to Grant Village in Yellowstone and taking an extra day to explore.
 Herd of Elk?
 Jason from San Fran.
 I know our dalmation would never patiently wait beside me in the river while I fished.
 The famous Dale Young...May you always have Tailwinds my friend.
 Richard touring the Entire country...just about. How much do you think all his tuff weighs?
 A very pleasant Frenchman approaching nearing the completion of the Transam Ride
 A herd of Bison in Yellowstone.
Geysers and bubbling culdrins of sulphur smelling stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tim - we enjoy reading your blog . . . .keep safe! Lee and Doris

    ReplyDelete