Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - Extreme Winds!

Dillon, MT to Ennis, MT (75 Miles)

In order to beat the heat and especially the wind, I was on the bike by 5:50am. Within the first 30 miles there was no wind, but I did meet a westbound cyclist. Max had started on the east coast in April, visited the Outer Banks and was now headed for the Pacific Ocean.  After making it to Florence, OR he plans to ride south to San Francisco to visit friends before heading home to England (yes, the country). After I turned out of Twin Bridges and heading South East (at the 30 mile mark), the head wind started to blow. I had to struggle to get 6-8 MPH riding into the wind. Farmers continued to irrigate their fields, but with the wind the water also irrigated passing motorists and cyclist. At about 45 miles I decided it was time to stop at the Sheridan IGA and get a cold Starbucks Double Shot and have a Cliff Bar. A local asked if I had seen any forest fires or smoke. He said a new fire had started yesterday and was raging just to the north. But, by my South East route, I should be OK. After leaving Sheridan, I met another westbounder who had started in Vancouver road to Yellowstone and was now headed for Calgary. Then Roel was flying back to Holland (yes, the country)! The wind was still relentless as I passed through a Nevada City and Virginia City, which are both old restored mining towns. All though touristy, they were neat. If I wasn’t already feeling so whipped from the wind and knowing I still had a pass to climb I might have spent more time visiting. So, the climb of the pass started but the wind did not stop. At one turn you were being pushed up the hill by the wind, but as the road turned the wind would try to push you back. It was a tough climb! As I crested the summit, the downhill is always the best…except today. One minute you were really flying, then as the road curved the cross wind would nearly knock you off your bike. I am glad there were no cars that came up behind me n the descent, as I used my entire lane to try and stay upright. The rest of the way down, I hung on for dear life. It was a very harrowing experience. Once at the camp a group of scared family members were very glad to see me. I found on the radio said the winds were 25-30 MPH with gusts of 40 mph.  The camper was even rocking around and Kim kept it hooked to the Durango to prevent it from blowing over.  Looking back on my ride today, especially the final descent from the pass, I am convinced my safe arrival was nothing short of a miracle. Thanks be to God!
The Ennis RV Park was found to be the overnight stay for two other touring cyclists. Patrice from New Jersey and McKinley from Tennessee were also on the TransAm cross country trek. They had met each other after a week or so into the ride. Now they were traveling together and we enjoyed getting acquainted with them.  All of us were trying to get out of the high winds by hanging out in the campground clubhouse.     

Thankfully the winds are suppose to be much better tomorrow as we arrive in West Yellowstone.
 Beaver Rock..does this look like a Beaver to you?
 Max from England
 Roel from Holland...why don't these Europeans wear helmets?
Patrice and McKinley are great people!

No comments:

Post a Comment