Thursday, June 14, 2012

Monday, June 11, 2012 - Another Scenic Ride Day


Redmond, OR to Mitchell, OR (71 Miles)

As it was sunny but cool, I started riding at 7:00am. We were planning to end the day in Mitchell, OR, but we could not get in contact with the Mitchell City Park Manager where the only RV spots in town included the 3 at the park. So, we were going to take our chances. What do you expect when you are dealing with a town with the population is 141. To this point the campgrounds have been much less than full.
Most of the day was riding over rather flat land with some minor climbs (of course after McKenzie Pass, they all seem to be minor climbs). In Prineville, I climbed to a scenic overlook and could see for many miles to include the town of Prineville. I spoke to a fellow at the top of the scenic overlook, Ronald, who said that Facebook and Apple computer had purchased land in the area to put up some facilities. Then, as I road through town, I saw there were signs that said Welcome Facebook and Apple.  Later on down the road, I rounded a bend and, there was a large herd of black angus cattle being corralled by 8-10 cowboys (riding horses, wearing the full cowboy stuff, and tossing their ropes)…Neat!  As I stopped to watch, they were lassoing calves and administering what appeared to be medicine plus branding them. It was fascinating to watch.  A few miles further, I spotted some fellow cyclists taking a break, so I stopped to chat. The two couples, Ron & Shari and Mike & Pat were also cycling across the US. Their planned stop for the night was also Mitchell, OR. They were planning to either camp at the city park or stay at one of the hotels.  They were not ready to move on, so I told them we could hook up in Mitchell. As it turned out they ended up staying at at the Oregon Hotel in Mitchell and stopped over to chat with us briefly at the City Park. …yes, we got to use two of the three spots at the city park. Not much to write home about but it was fine.  The second group of cyclists that I stopped to talk to were some very young fellows, who were heading West to see the coast. Miles, Lucas, Elliot, and Hunter had started in their home state of Idaho and planned to end their ride somewhere in Washington State. They were camping along the way but had just spent the night in the Oregon Hotel in Mitchell and had good things to say about their visit to the little town. So, that was pretty much the day to include a nice supper at our “fancy” campsite. 

 I stopped for a pit stop and across the street from the little store, this fellow was try to hitch a ride. He make making very little effort to get a ride, smoking his cigarette and barely holding his thumb out. If I were Hitchhiking, I would certainly make more effort than this guy!
Although flat riding grade, the mountains were still in view.
Overlook of Prineville
Looks like a nice course in Prineville

Lake Ochoco
Real cowboys keeping the herd together.
Mother cow is not too happy about the cowboys branding her baby.
Ron & Shari and Mike & Pat were also cycling across the USA
One of Many National Forests that we have passed through.
Miles, Lucas, Elliot, and Hunter. Did their mothers approve of this trip?
The fancy campsite in Mitchell.

1 comment:

  1. An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a colleague who was conducting a little research on this. And he in fact ordered me dinner because I found it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending some time to talk about this issue here on your web site.

    my blog; Louis Vuitton Outledt ()

    ReplyDelete