Sunday, June 17, 2012

Friday, June 15, 2012 - Lost Gloves!


Richland, OR to Cambridge, ID (69 miles)
Through the end of today, I have pedaled and the two campers have traveled 700 miles. Of that, 671 miles were in Oregon. (Only about 3,500 miles to go.)
The day started with a climb...Oh Goodie, what a fun way to start the day. There is not much population out here, so when I saw a small gas station/grocery store outside of Oxbow, OR, I decided to stop for a cold refreshing beverage. The cashier/owner was very friendly, inquisitive, and said they get a number of cyclists. There was an 11 mile ride along the Snake River, which was a very wide and it is suppose to be the only river in the USA that flows north. I stopped to put sunscreen on my legs as it was starting to heat up and putting my cycling gloves in my jacket pocket (without zipping it shut). Well about 5 miles down road, I went to reach for my gloves and they were not in my pocket and not within sight behind me. Do I pedal back maybe 5 miles (each way) to find my gloves....NOT! Bummer, I liked those gloves too! Before crossing into Idaho, I met a couple of young ladies who were heading West. Sara and Lena were from New York but they started on April 8th in Virginia and pedaled across the USA with a destination of Portland, OR. (Ladies, if you are reading this, I recommend you not stop short at Portland, but continue to the Pacific to dip your front tire in Ocean. But, even if you don't, I take my helmet off to you...Well Done!) 
As I entered Idaho (Yeah a new state), there was a climb out of the Snake River to a curvy picturesque road that overlooked the Brownlee Reservoir.  Next, the road turned to climbing again for about 7 miles and it was getting hot. I made it, but not after a couple stops to cool in an occasional shade tree. Oh by the way, I have not walked one inch up a climb yet and my goal is not to walk any part of the bike trail.
One excellent reward for a climb of any sort is the downhill that follows. So, the 7 mile climb was followed by a 17 miles downhill into Cambridge...Sweet! Now the Frontier Motel & RV Park was basically the stone parking lot on back side of the one story hotel. Putting it kindly, it was not too nice. We took a stroll up town for a Cinnamon iced latte coffee, stopped for post cards at the local grocery (right out of Mayberry RFD) and walked into the hardware store which resulted in a chat with one of the local fellows. We grilled out for dinner. and called it a day. The bike computer said the total trip climb today was 4,774 feet of uphill. No wonder my legs are tired!
 After the morning climb out of Richland, I could look back and see the town. I think you can see our
Camper...Well maybe not. 
 Yes, that says 7% grade, glad I am going down hill at this point!
 Pretty scenery near Halfway, Oregon
 Stopped for an Iced Starbucks Coffee.
 The Snake River
 Sara and Lena...they were just as cheery as if they had stared the trip yesterday, instead of April 8th. They were very nice young ladies!
 Brownlee Reservoir
 The black stallion and I have made it through Oregon and now into Idaho.
Wow, look at this lovely campsite on the stones in the back of a hotel. Glad it was only one night...

3 comments:

  1. WAHOO! You made it out of Oregon! :) What did you think of all that gear those gals had on their bikes? Wow, I'm glad Kim is taking this trip "with" you so you don't have to have your bike loaded down like that! Keep pedaling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure they were misinformed about the Snake river being the only river to flow North in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the Snake River flowing north, I guess I should not trust the word of the fellow sitting around the hardware store shooting the bull in Cambridge, ID.

    ReplyDelete