Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 Get on your bike and ride!

 So, my SAG team drive me into Astoria, to start at the offical beginning point of the TransAm trail, rom Astoria, OR rode through very pretty coastal views to Cape Lookout State park outside of Tillamook, OR. 85.5 miles, 8 hours on the bicycle. The views were really magnificent and breath taking!  It was a long day of riding with some hill/mountain a real test of the bicycle legs! Accounts of such a trip from other touring cyclists say how it takes a few days for you to "get your climbing legs". I wonder where you go to get them, but I hope mine show up sometime soon.  As I had stopped along the rode to have a little snack and water, a fellow came running across the road to talk to me. I found out his name was Gary. He was real interested in my trip and told me he had made a cross country ride last year. While standing there he pointed out a Bald Eagle soaring overhead, Neat! He said "you are going to have a great time." I truly believe that he was sent by God to encourge me. Because at the time I stopped for the break, I had 60 miles behind me and had just realized a calculation error. Instead of finishing in 70 miles today, the state park was actually 15 miles futher and I was discouraged to think I was going to have to complete 85 miles. So, thank you God for sending Gary to encourage me. The campground was right on the Pacific Ocean.  Kim did a great job of hooking and pulling the camper from Astoria to Cape Lookout! Oh yes, and we got a picture of me dipping the rear tire of the bike in the Pacific Ocean….ceremonial you know.




 I road past the den of vipers...aka logging trucks. These guys eat dogs, cats, small children, and cyclist for lunch then spit them out along the road. So, when you see them coming in your rear mirror, get ready to hang on, because they will not move over or slow down.

                                                       Hey!  Look who I ran into along the road at a pull off spot.

                                                           The rear tire has touched the Pacific Ocean!

2 comments:

  1. Reading this post, I got teary-eyed! I'm so proud of you and we are praying for your continued safety. Love & hugs to you guys! We miss you already - pedal faster. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was off to a good start! Miss you guys! Love you!

    ReplyDelete