Sunday, June 17, 2012

Saturday, June 16, 2012-Ride Along the Little Salmon River

Cambridge, ID to Pollock, ID (73 miles)

Although I you might imagine the difference, there are things that one experiences on a bike, that cannot be captured as you ride in a motor vehicle. Things that are different include, the smells in the air, such as pine trees, streams of water, and flowers. You hear birds, water rushing in the streams and wind in your ears. Feel the heat and the cold. If you are in a car, you simply adjust the thermostat to compensate for hot and cold, but on a bike, you either layer up or shed layers to deal with the temperature change throughout the day. Here is another new one I experienced today: I put a layer of sunscreen on my legs and headed down a hill, passing through a swarm of bugs, (eating a couple which make you choke) and I reached to bottom of the hill to look down at my legs. They were covered with bugs that had stuck to the sunscreen lotion…bummer! But another experience that a motorist does not experience.  When riding through mountain forests, there is the possible encounter with wild animals (i.e. lions, tigers and bears..Oh my!). I will think of other things along the way and give you a report later.
Today's ride was relatively tame compared to the day before. The day started with some farm land, plus horse and cattle grazing. The road skirted some mountains, before some relatively minor climbing along the Weiser River. After passing through New Meadows, ID, the road made some minor climbs before topping out at 4,183 feet. The downhill provided some amazing views as it followed the fast moving Little Salmon River. We camped for the night in Pollock, OR at the Canyon Pines RV park which was right along the River. It so happened that the fellows from Chillicothe, Ohio who started in Astoria, OR the same day as me are also staying at this campground. Stephen and John with their SAG driver Hal are also making the TransAm cross country ride. Plus, they are raising funds for the American Cancer Society, you can check out their story at: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/transamerica2012
Kim's cold/allergy nasal issue has improved. She decided that the antihistamine was making her woozy, which is not a good thing when pulling a camper through the curvy mountain roads. Also, we received word today, that my Dad was re-admitted to the hospital following his recent surgery. Please pray for his recovery. 

 Horses having some breakfast.
 This deer was outside Council, ID
If this lumber mill thinks these logs are going to continue to grow by watering them, I think they are sadly mistaken!
 Stephen and John by the Salmon River.
 Stephen took my picture next to the Little Salomon River.
 Our campsite was right next to the river. You can hear it roaring constantly.

Now that I am half way between the Equator and the North Pole, which way should I go. I guess I will go North for now.


1 comment:

  1. This is something you will never forget. I'm proud of you. Aunt Dorothy

    ReplyDelete