Monday, June 18, 2012

Sunday, June 17, 2012 - Fresh Salmon on the Grill

Pollock, ID to Grangeville, ID (61 Miles)

The first 40 miles of riding today followed the Little Salmon River and later the Salmon River. As it was primarily a descending ride, it was very enjoyable. Within the first 12 miles, I came upon vehicle after vehicle parked along the road. I soon realized there were scores of fisherman along the bank of the river. So, I decided to stop and watch what was going on. The fisherman were standing shoulder to shoulder and casting their lines in the river in synchronization. It is a wonder they did not get their lines tangled, because they would cast upstream, and as one started to reel in the line, the next one seemed to cast his line over the first and so on. Next, I noticed a fellow, bringing two very large fish up the bank to his parked pickup truck right where I was standing. Come to find out, they were salmon, and Brent let me take a picture of his catch and the proud angler. Brent grew up in West Virginia and was very excited to be talking to a Buckeye. I mentioned that a fish that big must put up quite a fight. Brent said it is like hooking your line to the back of the Mac Semi truck and reeling it in. It was 7:30am in the morning and I asked him if he was quiting for the day. He replied to say two salmon was the limit. As I moved on up the road, there were other spots where the salmon fisherman were on the bank. As the Little Salmon River became the much wider, but still rapid moving Salmon River, there were additional fishermen in boats who were fighting the current to keep from running over the various rocky spots (looked dangerous to me).

As it was time for a pit stop, I spoke to a very nice lady sitting in a pickup with a decal for the State of Idaho Department of Fish & Game. LouAnn not only knew where Lima, Ohio was but she had an Uncle who lives in Kenton, Ohio. Her job was to check out the salmon as the fisherman brought them ashore to look for tagged fish, take samples and inquire of the fishing experiences. She was a very pleasant and informative person. I truly appreciated her taking the time to share her story!

As I came into White Bird, Idaho, the route turned off the busy route 95 to instead be on the old route 95. The climbing began. For the next 2 hours I climbed for 11 miles on switchback after switchback, in the heat to White Bird pass. Have I mentioned how I spend some of the climb time to pray to God? Well I pray for strength to get to the top and to be able to tolerate the heat. Amazingly enough, there were occasional breezes and clouds that offered relief from the direct sun. I also find that it helps pass time to sing hymns...no kidding. Now, understand I don't sing them out loud, because I don't have that much breath to spare. But you can sing them in your head and it not only sooths you but helps with the cadence.

OK, so after reaching the top, there were some magnificent views and even better, there was an 11 mile downhill. I rolled into camp and was ready for a refreshing shower.

So, while I was riding, Kim and her parents passed the same salmon fishing congestion that I experienced. But, they stopped at a roadside spot where some Nez Perce Indians were selling salmon fillets (smoked or not). So, for dinner, we enjoyed a salmon fillet on the grill...wow, it was good! Happy Father's Day!

 Shoulder to SHoulder they try for the big one.
 Brent caught his limit for the day.
These two giants would feed an army.
 I watched this boat for a little while but it made me nervous as they tried to avoid going into the rocky rapids.
 Have I got a deal for you...
 Thanks LouAnn for sharing some time out of your day!
The view from the top of White Bird Pass.



Supper...Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment