Sunday, June 10, 2012

Friday, June 8, 2012 Slow Climb Into the Mountains

Harrisburg, OR to McKenzie Bridge, OR (76 Miles)

As there was rain during the night and more rain predicted for Thursday by noon, I decided to start early. As I rolled out of the campground in Harrisburg, OR, the morning temperature was 45 degrees and I was dressed to encounter cold and rain. Of course that is about normal weather for this week, when the highs have only been in the 50’s and 60’s and it rains at least sometime during the day. Thankfully, I have been able to avoid the rain, until today. Well the first 50 miles were dry with a peek of sun on occasion. I saw groves of hazel nut trees, fields of lavender flowers, wild turkeys, deer, fast moving rivers and some waterfalls. At about 50 miles, the rain started. I prayed that if God did not take away the rain, He would at least help me endure it. It truly is a challenge to ride your bike in the rain along a busy highway, with the Monsters (logging trucks) blowing by you spraying water in your face. But, prayer was answered and I made it safely to the destination at Camp Yale outside of McKenzie Bridge, OR. It was not 15 minutes after I arrived at the campground and the sky really opened up with heavy rain mixed with hail! It rained all evening. I was also grateful to be able to go inside a camper and warm up, instead of having to hang out in a cold tent all night. I am thankful for my wife and her bravery in overcoming the challenges of moving the camper each day. She has been a real trooper. Kim and her parents ventured into Eugene, OR on their way to McKenzie Bridge in order to find a mall to visit. They became frustrated with the GPS and turned around a couple time. But ultimately they made their destination. We had tacos for supper and played cards with Walt and Vera. I covered 75 miles today and now we are back on the planned schedule. I started the day at an altitude of 480 feet and ended at 1843 feet. Tomorrow is the climb across McKenzie Pass at 5400 feet which promises some magnificent views, if it is clear. The road through the pass is closed to cars right now due to snow, but for a couple weeks each spring they allow hikers and bicyclist through the road. So, I stopped at the Ranger Station in McKenzie Bridge to check on the status of the Pass. The ranger said it was open to bicycles, so I am planning to go with both excitement and apprehension. Tomorrow we plan to stay in Redmond, OR where I look forward to a day off.
                                                                             There were a lot of Hazelnut groves


                I believe this is a farm for growing lavendar

                                                                          As soon as this comes up for sale, I am going to buy it!
                                                                       I bet you have never saw a caution Turkey crossing sign.
                                                                   And here are the wild turkeys
                                                                    A bicyclists favorite thing to find along the trail!
 A very pretty lake created by a dam in the McKenzie River. The two fisherman on the right of the picture are in kayaks and one of them was carching a fish when I rode by them.
                                                                       Goodpasture Bridge built in 1938


                                                                ...and the logging devils are still on the loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment