Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wednesday, August 15, 2012-It's All Downhill

Ft. Chiswell, VA to Christiansburg, VA (50 Miles)

Making it up and out of the campground at sun up, I was concerned about the weather. There was predictions of rain today, but I hope to be finished before getting wet. Even though we are in a rather busy area of the state, the route still took me through lightly traveled roads. I am so glad to have the ACA maps to guide the way. Not sure how or why, but most of the day was a gradual downhill ride. I almost felt guilty, but that only lasted for a couple minutes. Since, I have been climbing for days a lot of downhill was welcomed.

At mid-ride, I approached a Westbounder who looked to be extremely loaded down. We were in a somewhat busy section of road, but I slowed to talk to him. He just said hello and rolled on by. Well, that was rather odd. He must be a "rookie" TransAm cyclist and hopefully he will learn the etiquette of talking to other touring cycling brethren along the route.

Although, I have not mentioned the Knights of Terror recently does not mean there has not been thoughts of the monsters. As predicted by the Westbounders, the crossing out of Kentucky seemed to also be the end the Knights' kingdom. With the exception of one isolated encounter, there have been no battles in Virginia. The one exception was on a downhill run when I caught the two Knights out of the corner of my eye. They were too slow off their perch and had no chance to catch me before I crossed the end of their driveway. Out loud, I told them, "Too Slow Boys!" Maybe the Knights use Virginia as a training ground before they are shipped to the Kingdom of Kentucky. If that is so, the two amateurs from yesterday will need more training.

Thankfully, I made it to the Christiansburg stop before it rained. But, as I approached the Interstate RV Park, there stood the SAG team in the parking lot of a Holiday Inn. They had went over to the proposed RV park and found it to be a real dump for $30 a night. Plus, they could not get anyone to answer the knock at the Office door. So, we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn. It was only a few dollars more than the RV Park, plus we get a hot breakfast in the morning. We explored town, visited a shopping mall and, of course, Walmart. I did not realize Christiansburg, VA is the home of Virginia Tech Hokies. What is a Hokie?

We are one day closer to the end...
 Notice the 76 sign with the bicycle emblem...it represents the path of the TransAm route originally travelled in 1976. Virginia has been great about posting the route signs. Signs in the rest of the country is rather sparse.
 Crossing the New River into Radford, VA
  We treated ourselves with a little luxury at the Holiday Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment