Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 - Timmmm-berrrrr!

Bardstown, KY to Burgin, KY (57 Miles)

The early morning ride out of Bardstown was very busy, especially on a shoulderless road. I was happy to finally get on the county road where the road was even narrower, but the traffic was nearly nonexistent. There were an abundance of nice houses along the route. Up and down roads was still the norm, but I am getting use to it by now. The climbing I can handle, but the dogs continue to torment me. But, I thank God that they have not caused harm or injury to date. As I was along a flat straight stretch of road, I start to hear the barking to my right. As I look, all four the the Knights of Terror were coming at me. I let them get fairly close and utilized the "Point/NO!" method. It seemed to slow them enough to get me out of their range. In fact the first one slowed, which cause the others to stumble over each other...cool...see you guys later!

I started to notice some major tree trimming had occurred along the road. Probably for utility line purposes. Well, I came up on signs that warned of a flagger ahead. The flagger was at the start of an uphill bend in the road and he had his STOP sign out. So, I slowed to talk to him. The Hispanic fellow had a strong Spanish accent and told me to go ahead, but if cars came up behind me I could move into the coned area and let them pass. As I climbed around the bend in my typical slow speed, I could see the trimming crew up ahead. One of the crew started to yell at me, Come on, Amigo, let's go! So, I picked up the pace a little and just as I was almost to the big truck with the man lift, they yelled for me to stop and wait. The lift was probably 50 feet in the air and getting ready to cut a huge limb. In fact the one fellow told me to back up, which I was happy to comply. The saw started and down came  the limb with a crash! I moved back a little farther as I saw the next limb he was planning to hack. Good thing I moved, as the limb ultimately dropped right where I had been. Whew! Next came the bobcat with a big claw on the front which could grab the huge limbs like a hand. It crammed the branches into the shredder and they were gone in no time. As the coast was clear, they motioned me and the other vehicles to move on. I was glad to be on my way! 

A historic spot was next on the route, so I stopped at the Lincoln Homestead State Park. Although it was not open yet, I could walk around an look in the buildings and read the placards. It turned out to be another replica of the boyhood home of Abraham Lincoln's fathers. It was a nice park with an adjacent golf course, but it was time to move on down the road. The balance of the ride was hot but it went well with more nice houses to look at, and more hilly countrysides. I stopped at the Fudge Cafe Historic Drug Store in Harrodsburg for, you guessed it, an ice cream cone. Whew, now I can make it the final 10 miles to the night's stop at Chimney Rock RV Park outside Burgin, KY.

The curvy, narrow, bumpy roads, hard to find camp spot, unlevel campsite spots, and continued heat with high humidity are starting to wear on the SAG team. Setting up, tearing down the camper, and driving to a new place each day would be hard on anyone. After all, we have been to 54 campgrounds since starting in Astoria, Oregon.  I pray the team will hold up to the end. All of your prayers are appreciated also!! Tomorrow is a shorter ride to Berea, Kentucky.


 Chaotic Tree Trimmers
 Boyhood home of Abe Lincoln's Father
 Ice Cream, please!
 There were some stone fences along the trail today. I am guessing they have some age to them.
Chimney Rock recreation area.



3 comments:

  1. I think I have the solution to your "knights of terror" problem: stop putting bacon in your pockets! ;) But seriously, maybe you should invest in a box of dog treats and when the knights attack, toss 'em some! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so maybe the dog treats will help me this time, but will the next cyclist be more at risk with the dog expecting more treats?

      Delete
  2. Oooooooo good point...so thoughtful of you to think of the next guy. Praying the doggies just stay on their porches!

    ReplyDelete