Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Saturday, August 11, 2012 - Kentucky Coal Mines

Hindman, KY to Breaks, VA (68 Miles)

Actually, our campground was seven very hilly miles off route from the Adventure Cycling Association (ACA) prescribed course. As Kim had shuttled me yesterday, my lovely bride also drove me from the campground back to the point where I left off on Friday. She is a wonderfully patient woman!

To start the day, I headed out wearing my cold weather gear as it was a cold 48 degrees. In Virgie, KY it was time to stop at the local carryout to remove some clothing layers and buy a drink/ snack. While waiting to pay for my drink, a local retired fellow proceeded to tell me about his life story. He had served in the military, and then retired from working in the coal mines. The area is severely depressed economically “due to Obama’s restrictions on issuing coal mining permits causing a lot of out of work people in the area”. I have been noticing a lot of bumper stickers and yard signs supporting Kentucky Coal Workers. We talked some about my bike trip, other cyclists that have passed by, and he warned me about a big climb that was ahead of me.

There were a total of four big climbs today. Instead of enjoying the downhill cruise associated with the steep climbs, one was faced with extremely challenging descents, to the point of scary. The extreme steep grade combined with narrow roads and many switchbacks seemed to take the fun out of the downhill. Climb three of four was a one lane paved narrow road labeled State Route 611. With the degree of difficulty, the route should have been labeled State Route 666 as it was a beastly climb and an equally challenging descent. I would think there should be laws against making the road grade ascend at that level. If no law exists, then one should be passed ASAP.

The day was not entirely difficult, as the temperatures were very moderate, in the upper 70’s. There were some long stretches of road which followed a stream with a slight downhill. The mountain scenery continued to be very picturesque with groupings of houses every so often along the valley routes. Again today, there were a variety of very nice homes mixed with $100,000 coal dump trucks parked in front of $10,000 mobile homes. In many cases, I wondered how in the world they ever got those mobile homes up the side of the mountain into their current resting place?

I rode past two coal mining operations that were close to the road. They appeared to be silent with today being Saturday. Obviously there is not a lot to see above ground except for the coal elevators, piles of coal above ground, and shafts that disappear into the side of the mountain.

As I was nearing the stop for the day, it was exciting to cross into Virginia and the final state of the cross country trek. Also, I entered the Breaks Interstate Park and the pullout to view Grand Canyon of the south. It was a grand view indeed, plus I met two westbounders. Flo and Clarice (Guy and Gal) were excited to meet the first eastbounder of their trip. They had flown over from their home in Austria to begin riding from Washington DC, crossed into Virginia and were on the ACA TransAm route. They had lots of questions for me, which I tried to answer.

It was good to finally arrive at the State park campground and I look forward to the day off tomorrow.

What you can see of the coal mine operation.

I guess each rooster needs his own little house...how nice!
Apparently not everyone is poor in the area, as this person landed his helecopter as I was riding past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment