Saturday, August 18, 2012

Thursday, August 16, 2012-Enjoyable Ride!

Christiansburg, VA to Troutville, VA (59 Miles)

The hot breakfast bar at the Holiday Inn was wonderful. I loaded up on pancakes, eggs, and sausage. Plus it was a treat to have some coffee! Now that I am ready to conquer the world, or at least a mountain or two, I pedaled out of Christiansburg. It was 60 degrees and clear roads in town, but about 5 miles out a heavy fog was set in place. Please remember, that to this point I have had no shoulder along the road in Virginia. But this morning at about 5 miles out of town, there was the start of a bike lane, which gave me about three feet of pavement to work with. What a blessing to have an extra lane when the visibility was poor for me plus for the cars coming from behind. I had my blinking tail light on, what little good that was doing. In addition, I had to stop about every ¼ mile to clean off my glasses, as water droplets would collect on the lenses from the fog. I probably would have delayed my departure if the fog would have been present at the hotel. But, now that I was on the road I wanted to keep rolling. After 15 miles the fog lifted, strangely enough so ended the bike lane. Some people would not think twice about that or call it a coincidence. But, I still call it a blessing!

Today’s journey ranks right up there with one of the most enjoyable legs of the entire trip. Much of the day was gradual downhill winding roads. The road followed a ridge between some mountain ranges and temperature was in the 70 degree range. There were a couple bicycling locals on the route, but they always look as if they are in a race with no time to stop and chat. The traffic was very light and before I knew it, I had reached the camp.

We are staying at Camp Bethel outside Troutville. It is run by the Church of the Brethern and listed on the ACA map. It was a very nice wooded area with both water and electric hookups for RVs. Obviously, we are not their primary customers, but instead they house big groups in camp buildings and hold conferences. It was quite a nice facility and they only charged us $12. What a deal!
 Look at this cool fully restored Plymouth setting out in the country.
 Mountain Views.
 What an elaborate metal mailbox holder.
Our camp spot at Camp Bethal outside of Troutsville.

No comments:

Post a Comment