Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday, August 18, 2012 Tough Day in the Saddle

Lexington, VA to Charlottesville, VA (75 Miles)

Once again, I was up with the sun at a temperature of 59 degrees. It was going to be a difficult day to include the final day of major climbing. After the road meandered along a river for 10 miles, things turned ugly. It was a 2 mile very steep uphill climb to the Blue Ridge Parkway entrance. Once on the Parkway, I expected a rolling roadway with beautiful vistas. Well, the reality was somewhat different. Of course the views were very pretty from 3,000+ feet, but the road was filled with some very long climbs. By the time the end of the 27 mile stretch of the Parkway arrived, I was just about spent and I only had 35 miles to go. To top it off, I had another flat tire to change while on the Parkway.

As for the positive things to this point, I saw 2 deer, a crane, a hawk and some very pretty scenery. There must have been a Saturday morning cycling group on the Parkway, as I counted 21 local cyclists stretched along the route.

Exiting the Parkway, I had to turn onto US 250 for 1.5 miles. It was very busy road but I was glad to see the yellow caution sign that says, “Share the Road” with a picture of a bicycle. It was a steep downhill as I was moving 25-30 MPH, with many cars and trucks whizzing past me. Well, about ¼ mile before my turn off of the busy road, a panel delivery truck was coming up behind and started excessively honking his horn at me. I waived to acknowledge seeing him, but he pulled right beside me as we both were going about 25 MPH, rolled down his window and yelled at the top of his lungs, “GET OFF THE ROAD, IDIOT!”  and then sped away. Well, I did not expect that! Apparently he did not see the “Share The Road” sign!

The balance of the ride was much better as the roads leveled off with only minor rolling up and down elevations. I made it into Charlottesville and stopped for an ice cream sandwich and called Kim for a rendezvous point. The only campground we could find was 10 miles off the route and she agreed to come pick me up for a ride to the KOA camp spot. It turned out to be over an 8 hour day of riding. The total elevation gain today was 6,040 feet. Unbelievable this was the second highest single day elevation gain for the entire trip. No wonder I am tired. Tomorrow is a day off and then there is only 4 more days of riding. Hallelujah!

The SAG team had been hanging out at the campground all day, so they were ready to do something. We ventured into Charlottesville to scope out a church to attend tomorrow (Immanuel Lutheran Church). As a treat, we decided to eat out at Red Robin…Yummmm!

 It is hard to capture the views from the Blue Ridge Parkway.
 More views from the Parkway
 Based on the houses, there is some money in the Charlottesville Area
Lewis & Clark Statue in downtown Charlottesville

No comments:

Post a Comment