Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Friday, August 3, 2012-Kentucky, Here We Come!

Rock-In-Cave, IL to Moseleyville, KY (80 Miles) 

It rained most of the night. One cannot complain, as we have had very dry weather for weeks and the locals are very excited to get some rain. Even though it was dripping  from the trees, I headed out to wait by the shore of the Ohio River. In order to get to the Kentucky side, one has to ride the ferry boat. It is a free service operated by the state. It was just me and two other cars that went across. One of the locals, Mike, was telling me you can fit 15 cars on the ferry, but there are also semi-trucks that use the ferry. While we waited, Mike was very talkative about his family, job, and short commute to work (which includes a ride on the ferry each way).  

A new and next to last state is in front of me. Kentucky treated me well today with cloudy skies and gently rolling hills. The roads were narrow with no shoulders, but the motorists proved to be courteous. Entering Marion, KY, I decided to stop at McDonald’s to use the restroom and enjoy an iced coffee. While ordering the coffee, a conversation was started with a local about my ride. Ron then launched into a very extensive dissertation about his relatives who moved to Oregon, and his ancestors from the Revolutionary War, and that they signed the US Constitution, and how he had relative in Ohio, and … and … The guy was very kind, but an endless flow of historical information. I could not get a word in sideways. I downed my iced coffee and found a moment when Ron took a breath, for me to explain I needed to get on the road before it got too hot outside.  Whew!! As I was riding out of town,  a dog, who was thankfully inside a fence, barked excessively at I passed. The guy on the front porch, who was partially hidden by some shrubbery, said just loud enough for me to hear, “Oh, a biker. (pause) Those Damn bikers!” The comment was followed by a sinister laugh. Was he joking, or was he being evilly sincere. I was not going to stop and ask. So far, the local Kentuckian encounters has been,…interesting! 

By time I reached the midway point in Sebree, KY, it was warming up and a perfect time to have an ice cream cone at the Sebree Dairy Stand.  Well, the waffle cone was excellent and the fellow also gave me a complimentary large glass of ice water. Good Man! A short distance out of town, I met Rob and Quentin. They are Westbound cyclist who started in Virginia and plan to complete the Oregon destination by mid September. They were great guys and I enjoyed the visit. (Blog site: www.robandbigathetrip.com They also reiterated previously heard warnings about the dog chases in Eastern Kentucky. Oh, boy, I can hardly wait??!! But, after the good vibes from the diary stand and the visit with these Kentucky cyclist, Kentuckians are restored to good people! 

The campsite for the evening was off course about 5 miles at the Windy Hollow Campground. It was a nice shady camp spot with a nice little pond. We ventured into Owensboro for groceries at Krogers.
 Getting a Ferry Ride over the Ohio River
 Hello, Kentucky!
 There were some Amish sighting in the area. If I were Amish, I would push for indoor plumbing.
 On a hot day, there is always time for ice cream.
 The barge of coal was going under a bridge as I was crossing the Green River.
Westbounders Rob and Quentin. Good Job Guys, keep on truckin!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment