Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thursday, August 2, 2012 -Long ride with more climbing

Carbondale, IL to Cave-In-Rock, IL (86 Miles) 

It was a nice cool morning and the ride was going so well even though I knew it was going to be a long one. Apparently, it wasn’t going to be long enough as I realized that I missed a turn. Well, by the time I found my way back, it added 5 miles to my day. What can you do, but suck it up McClaren!! Soon, I noticed a couple deer running beside me before they cut into the woods. Before the day was out, I saw deer in three more spots. Most of the day, the roads had very light motorist travel, but still no shoulders. OK, so I thought the Ozark Mountains had rollercoaster roads. Well, today was so much up and down, it almost did me in. Not only was it a hot day (over 100), but the total climb was 5,655 feet. That is a record one day total so far and my legs are feeling it! 

The quality of housing has increased greatly today. Instead of run down mobile homes or ready to fall over shacks, there were some quality homes. I stopped in Goreville, IL to get some chocolate milk, but had to settle for white milk. The checkout fellow asked about my ride and told me to stop in Tunnel Hill, IL to see the tunnel. It once was a train tunnel but had been converted to a trail for bicycles and hikers. So, I took his advice and rode a short distance off route to see the tunnel. It was pretty cool, literally. 

About half way through the day, I came upon a Westbounder. Frank Manera is from Heidelberg, Germany. He only has a 6 week visa started in Washington DC and had been cranking out 100 mile days in order to complete the trip. I don’t know how he can keep up that pace, plus he is not taking any days to rest. More power to him. I told him I would like to visit Germany someday and invited myself to Frank’s house. He seemed agreeable to that and we exchanged information for later.  

At about 75 miles, the heat was way up, my legs were tired of climbing, and I had swallowed my last bit of water. There had been next to no place to stop for a cold drink break since I was in Goreville (at about 25 miles). Finally, I limped into Elizabethtown, IL and found a carryout that had almost any kind of beer and liquor you could imagine. They had more coolers than I had saw in one store for a long time. I had to ask if they had bottled water and there was one small corner of one cooler way in the back of the store. Good deal, plus a bottle of Gatorade. But of course, there was a need for an ice cream sandwich. Now, that I was rehydrated, I finished the last 10 miles to the Cave-In-Rock State Park campground.  

We explored the areas name sake, that is a big cave. There is a very large cave that opens toward the Ohio River. Hollywood has used it for more than one movie set. It was nice and cool in the case and very neat! Oh, did I mention we are along the Ohio River and will enter Kentucky tomorrow? Cool!

 See how the road rolls...it makes me tired looking at it.

 Westbounder Frank Manera from Heidelberg, Germany- He is a good guy!
 Looking out to the Ohio River from the Cave at Cave-In-Rock State Park
Look a couple pirates are still hanging out in the Cave!


No comments:

Post a Comment