Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Saturday, August 4, 2012 - A Kentucky Country Ride

Moseleyville, KY (Near Owensboro) to Rough River Dam State Resort Park, KY (62 Miles)
Up with the sun again today, I was 8 miles off the Trail. So, I had an extra 8 miles to get back on track. It was another up and down hilly day. For a time there was a headwind, but otherwise it was just hot and humid. In contrast to the Rockies where the air was thin, the air hear was like breathing in thick goo. (I hope there is some oxygen in this goo.) As I was climbing a long hill, I could hear the dog barking at the top. I am thinking how great this will be with me having a slow climb and have to meet an angry dog at the top. As I crested the hill, there he was waiting anxiously beside the big tree in his front yard. Out he came, teeth bared and barking like a rabid animal. He was a medium to large dog, and he crisscrossed back and forth in front me me as I rolled ahead. The “Point & NO!” trick was not working. I became flustered and unclipped my shoe from the peddle and ready for a swift kick to the head, but at that moment the beast gave up the chase. A short distance ahead, a local cyclists was approaching from the east. So, I warned him of the feisty dog ahead. There were a number of local cyclist out this Saturday morning.

Did I mention the turtle rescue? There have been couple turtles that did not make it across the road to the other side. But, today, I spotted one who was hanging out in the middle of the road. So, I picked him up and helped him to the side (Although, I hope that was the side he was trying to get to originally, otherwise he will be back on the road after I leave…Oh Well?!) The clouds were starting to build as I rolled into camp at the Rough River Dam State Park Campground. Thankfully the rain held off until I was in, but we did get a bit of a downpour.

 He was a little camera shy, but he appreciated the rescue.
 There were some real nice houses along the route. Where do these people work?
The Rough River Dam

No comments:

Post a Comment