Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Friday, August 10, 2012- Meeting the Locals

Buckhorn, KY to Hindman (Carr Creek Park), KY (50 Miles)

 Again today, skies started cloudy with some haze on the mountains. Long climbs challenged the beginning of the day. As things leveled off a little, the rain started. It has been a while since I rode in rain, and I still do not like it. But, one must press on.

A couple “knights of terror” incidents occurred, with one situation being of particular interest. I rounded a bend to see the big black beast descend from his observation perch on the hill of his home turf. Although I attempted to accelerate to beat him past the end of his driveway, he was faster than anticipated. We met at the base, and it looked like battle was going to ensue. I pulled my weapon (pepper spray) as the knight bared his teeth putting forth his best snarling face. My weapon requires a slight twist of the top before spraying the formula, but just as I attempted to twist the top flipped off. Oh, Great! Thankfully, I was able to save the top without dropping it in the path of the Black Knight. Having to resort to plan B, the “Point & NO!” method  mixed with more bike acceleration resulted in being semi effective. Thankfully, the Knight abandoned the chase. About 500 feet up the road was a gas station convenience store where I stopped for a coffee (as it was a cool morning). I also tried to reassemble my weapon. As I sat drinking the coffee a Junior “Knight of Terror” came from across the street to voice his opinion. (I am beginning to wonder, if I have a target on my forehead that says, “All Dogs Bark at Me”?) Well the small dog, ended up being more curious than angry and I shared a piece of my Clif Bar with the little monster. But, as I was finishing up and to my obvious shock, the Black Knight was coming up the drive of the gas station with a fellow Knight in tow. They both came up to me and started acting like I was their best friend. I was slightly confused and decided it was time to go. I walked the bike to the front of the gas station lot, with the knights following my movement in a calm manner. As I jumped on the bike, it was like a switch flipped in their brains. They went ballistic, barking snarling and carrying on. Thankfully, I was able to escape the attack unscathed without using my weapon.

 The towns along the route contained some very small run down houses. The thinking must be this: “If your vehicle stops running or you don’t want to live in your house any longer, just let it sit and the weeds will soon overtake it.” There were quite a number of houses and vehicles at various stages of disappearing in this fashion. The road was now winding along a running creek  with dense forest and mountains all around.

About 15 miles from the destination, I notice the bikes back tire is low or should I say nearly flat. After a couple attempts to pump and run, it was time to change the leaking tire. I pulled to the side where there was a slight shoulder and went to work. After near completion, a pickup truck pulled to the side and out came long haired gentleman. John was 51 years of age and wearing camo pants and jacket with t-shirt and cross around his neck. He offered to help, but since I was finished we just talked. He had to retire from working in the coal mine for 31 years due to black lung disease. His coal mine job was to drill holes in the ceiling of the mine to install braces to hold up the mine ceiling (dangerous work, says John). He told me about the black bear who walked through his property recently. Then, he told me about the meaner people who come down from the hills on the first and 15th of the month to get their government checks. It is best to avoid being in town on those dates. I asked John about the cross on his neck and I was able to share a gospel message with him. Well there were many other topics, but eventually I was able to move on.

Our evening stop was a few miles off route, but the Carr Creak Lake Park was another very nice campground. Thankfully, I arrived just in time to avoid a extreme pouring rain storm.  

 An example of the road today
 John was a local who stopped to help with the tire repair.
Cemetery on the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment