Saturday, May 5, 2012

One Month Away

Training over the past couple months has been on the light side. In March, I logged 541 miles and April's total was 459. As the weather has started to turn nice, I find myself distracted from riding with things like lawn work, house projects, and getting things ready for the trip. In addition, I believe the adventure of the daily routes have lost their appeal. Knowing that June will bring views of the Pacific Ocean and Rocky Mountains, the flat farm fields of the Lima, Ohio area is not as enticing. Although I have enjoyed seeing the local wildlife, such as a Red Tailed Hawk fly right in front of me with his morning breakfast in his beak (i.e. field mouse). Then, there was the flock of buzzards hovering overhead, with a couple of their friends beside the road enjoying, what apparently use to be, a slow moving raccoon. Now, I start to think, "were the remaining hovering scavengers viewing me as a potential meal as I pedal along in the sweltering heat of the day?"  But, the vultures are not the only creatures doubting my ability to finish the 56 mile ride of the day, or even the TransAm trip itself. You know who you are, those who either under their breath or tell me directly, how crazy I am and doubting my ability to complete the trek. As the start of the trip is less than a month away, the excitement starts to build and my legs are close to as strong as their are going to get. Confidence is high, but the buzzards make me stop and think, "What if the ney-sayers are right and I don't make it to Virginia?" I remind myself that it is not a race, I can stop when needed, and I will complete the trip..."with the help of God." It is also important to remember that the true goal is to experience the trip, not to arrive unscathed in Yorktown, VA.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it!! I know you can!!! You will be in our prayers all summer long. :)

    ReplyDelete